Where can I get more information about taking a certified food handler training program?
You can find more information about the Manitoba Health Certified Food Handler Training Program here.
You can find a list of approved private contractors here. If you looking for an online course and exam, look at the Area column of the list for different options.
You may want to connect with your school division, community centre, or adult learning centre to see if a training program is being planned in your local area.
Can our program purchase equipment and appliances with Child Nutrition Council of Manitoba grant money?
Approved expenditures for Council grant dollars:
- At least 80 percent of your total annual grant is meant for food and beverage purchases.
- At most, you may use up to 20 percent of your total annual grant (or $500, whichever amount is less) for cleaning products, food delivery, small kitchen equipment, and/or supplies such as disposable bowls, spoons, and napkins if required.
Special one-time purchases:
- If you have a 1-time purchase (such as a kitchen appliance) that will cost more than 20 percent of your grant (or $500, whichever amount is less), email a detailed request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Be sure to keep all receipts to submit with your Year-End Report.
Why does our school need to keep our receipts from grocery purchases? What do you do with them?
Every year we have registered dietitians review grocery receipts submitted by schools. This gives us an idea of what types of snack, breakfast, or lunch items schools are purchasing. The receipts give our program dietitians an idea of what type of food the students at your school are able to access.
- provide feedback;
- have discussions with schools to see how we can better provide support; and
- share ideas with schools that may have challenges purchasing nutritious food.
Schools are asked to copy and submit all receipts with their Year-End Report and clearly mark all purchases made with Child Nutrition Council of Manitoba (“the Council”) dollars.
Our goal is for our staff to provide you with an itemized report about your receipts at least every two years. You can read an example here.