Fact Sheet: 10 Toast Toppers
to make toast fun, delicious, and packed with nutrition!
1. Egg & Cheese. Slice hard cheese and hard boiled eggs. Add sliced bell peppers for extra crunch!
2. Taco Toast. Mash up a can of rinsed black beans, mix with salsa. Top with sliced bell peppers and grated hard cheese.
3. Apple Berry Toast. Slice apples thin, top with plain yogurt and sprinkle with raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries (can use thawed frozen berries too!)
4. Neat – O Guacamole. Sliced or mashed avocado sprinkled with lime juice.
5. Banana Wow. Sliced banana on top of Wow Butter.
6. Piña Colada Toast. Greek yogurt topped with drained canned pineapple and coconut flakes.
7. Peaches and Cream. Cottage cheese topped with sliced peaches (can use canned too!).
8. Veggie Smiles. Spread toast with hummus, use veggies to create fun faces. Shredded carrot for hair, grape tomato, or olives for eyes, bell pepper slices for smiles.
9. Greek Toast. Sliced cucumber, sliced tomato sprinkled with feta cheese. Add fresh basil if you are growing some!
10. Manitoba Toast. Top toast with some local foods, like Manitoba blueberries and hemp hearts, or cucumbers from the school garden. Fresh tomatoes and basil from the school greenhouse.
Get creative! Put out a variety of toppings like sliced veggies and fruit, cheese, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc. Have the students invent their own Toast Toppers. See what kind of fun names they come up with for their creations!